Sunday, March 20, 2011

More produce was produced.

We tested the first asparagus. Since it its first year of return, we should not have eaten any of it. We couldn't resist. We each had a spear sauteed with our fried eggs this morning. It was mighty tasty and tender.  Next year, we can enjoy a true harvest and meal of fresh asparagus.

We found a broccoli plant that survived the winter. It is now just started to grow some florets. I'll post pics as soon as the head emerges.

One of the rhubarb plants emerged from the root bulb.  I have to keep remining myself that rhubarb leaves (even though they look delicious) are toxic to eat.


Four of the kale plants overwintered and are producing very large leaves already. Today we harvested 1/2 pound of Ragged Jack kale leaves to add to our Indian chickpea crock pot for dinner.


We also cut about 1/3 pound of arugula leaves. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them. Arugula is a strong tasting green. I'll poke about on the net and see if I can find a good recipe to dull down the sharp taste.



Total produce count for the year:
5/8 lb dark greens
1/4 lb micro greens
1/3 lb arugula
2 asparagus spears

No comments:

Post a Comment