Friday, May 6, 2011

Going to the market


Tomorrow is the grand opening of the Festival Way farmers market. Deb and I will be there with a boatload of lettuce, lots of greens, assorted herbs, and some cool things like miner's lettuce and New Zealand spinach. I will post actual harvest results results afterwards. 

Deb had to work, so I spent half of my day off at the big garden (mostly picking weeds). I found more spinach going to flower. Luckily none of the lettuce has begun bolting yet. I've tasted lettuce that is flowering and it's not pleasant.  The peas are beginning to step up their game. I picked 1/3 lb of young snap peas(and a few more that didn't make it to the scale). I hope to be able to harvest this much every couple days. The pea vines are over 8 feet tall now. If they keep growing, I'll need a step ladder to pick the peas!

There were four more ripe strawberries today. I don't know what we'll do if we can't get over to the big garden on any given day. We've had strawberries ripening up every single day. The strawberry plants are shooting out runners. I suppose next year will mean a bigger strawberry patch will be in order. 

This evening, Deb and I attended an informative class at Longwood Nursery with a guest speaker from the DR EARTH company. We watched a Power Point presentation on organic farming, and the advantages of probiotic plant foods. It seems like a good product that will probably improve our soil, so we bought a big bag of the Organic vegetable fertilizer and it was mixed in the top soil at the home garden about 15 minutes later.


Lots of lettuce
Beautiful beet greens


A couple ugly trellises waiting for
squash and cucumbers to start climbing
8' tall pea vines

I had a little afternoon snack





Total produce count for the year:

lots of  parsley
lots of peppermint
lots of spearmint
lots of lemon balm
lots of dill

9 strawberries
1/2 lb carrot roots
1 head of garlic
2/5 lb snap peas

3 trays of wheat grass(inside)
6.5 lb assorted dark greens
7/8 lb baby radishes/greens
1/4 lb mature radish roots
13  1/4 lb assorted lettuce
1 5/6 lb spinach
3/4 lb turnip roots
5/8 lb miner's lettuce
3/16 lb mache/corn salad
5/8 lb young dark greens
3 trays micro  greens(grown inside)
1/3 lb arugula
3 asparagus spears

No comments:

Post a Comment